Eco-Art Competition 2022Thank you for visiting the 2022 Inspire Through Eco-Art, Plant the Seed Gallery
We appreciate your patience as the gallery is under review. Our esteemed judges are hard at work evaluating this year’s entry’s.
Stay tuned, finalists will be announced, check back soon.
EarthX 2023 Inspire Through Eco-Art Competition: Protectors for the Planet
Rules and Guidelines
Young artists, ages 5-22, create a 2-D, two dimensional or 3-D, three-dimensional artwork that illustrates the 2023 theme message: Protectors for the Planet. Participants may use any medium or combination of media if the work meets the size requirements designated in the Official Rules.
The artwork must address this year’s theme: Protectors for the Planet. The subject matter can center around different aspects of the theme. Artists could illustrate how they themselves would directly impact their community or provide a solution to a global environmental concern. The artist may interpret the theme Protectors for the Planet to include individuals taking action towards a more sustainable planet. Artists may use visual elements to express their views on: biodiversity, ocean health, pollution, climate change, waste disposal, conservation, wildlife habitat security or green innovation, to name a few. Artists may interrupt the theme more figuratively to suggest how one can take action protecting our planet or highlight the accomplishments of environmental leaders, animals and organisms working to sustain ecosystems. These are just a few ideas and should in no way limit the artist as to how the theme can be interpreted.
First and Second Place cash prizes will be awarded in five divisions:EarthX 2023 Inspire Through Eco-Art Competition: Protectors for the Planet
Rules and Guidelines
- Division 1-Ages 5-9
- Division 2- Ages 10-13
- Division 3-Ages 14-16
- Division 4-Ages 17-18
- Division 5-Ages 19 - 22
- An Honorable Mention will also be recognized, but without a cash prize attached. At the sole discretion of EarthX, Divisions and Categories may be adjusted depending upon the number and types of artwork submitted for judging.
Official Rules and Submission Details
- Conditions of Entry
By submitting an Entry in this Project, each Entrant warrants and represents that the Entrant owns all rights to the Entry he/she is entering in this Competition and is the sole work of the Entrant. By submitting an Entry, Entrant agrees to the Official Rules, and further agrees to indemnify and hold EarthX and their respective affiliates, officers, directors, agents, co-branders or other partners, and any of their employees (collectively, The Project Indemnities), harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorney’s fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of The Project Indemnities due to or arising out of the Entrant’s Entry materials in this Project, or the Entrants conduct during and in connection with the Project, including but not limited to trademark, copyright or other intellectual property rights, right of publicity, right of privacy or defamation. Entrant agrees to release, indemnify, and hold harmless EarthX from all claims that any advertising, presentation, web content or any other material subsequently produced, presented, and/or prepared by or on behalf of EarthX infringes on the rights of Entrant's work as contained in any Entry.
- Eligibility Requirements
Anyone aged 5-22 at the time of entry is eligible. Division placement will be determined by the age of the entrant at the time of submission. The following are not eligible for juried cash prizes: employees, contractors, consultants, directors and officers of EarthX, their affiliated companies, distributors, web design, advertising, fulfillment, judging and Project agencies involved in the administration, development, fulfillment and execution of this Project and the immediate family members of each (spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, and spouse or "step" of each) and those living in their same households (those persons whether related or not who live in the same residence for at least three months during the twelve-month period preceding the start date of the Project). Outside of the United States, residency requirements may vary. Void where prohibited.
- Basic Requirements of the Project
- Artwork can be either 2-D or 3-D and use any medium or combination of media and must relate to the theme of the Competition: Protectors for the Planet.
- 2-D Pieces-Size must not exceed 20” X 30” (It is recommended that artwork be at least 8.5” X 11.5”.)
- 2-D entries should not be framed or on matboard.
- 3-D Pieces-Size must be no more than 24” X 24” X 48” with a maximum weight of 20 pounds.
Finalists selected, grant EarthX permission to mount the artwork for display in a public exhibition during Earth Week April 18-26, 2023, and by invitation only exhibition in Dallas, Texas. (Dates and location to be confirmed.)
- An Impact Essay of 300 words maximum no minimum is required. ** The purpose of this essay is to describe how the artistic representation embodies the theme of the Competition: Protectors for the Planet. Essay will be used in the judging process to aid in the understanding of the Entry. The answers to the following questions should be included in the essay:
- How does your work express your ideas about the theme: Protectors for the planet?
- Why is this idea important to you?
- What do you hope will happen when people see your artwork?
Divisions 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Describe how the environmental element(s) displayed in your work relate to the theme: Protectors for the Planet?
- Why is this environmental element/issue important to you?
- What artistic elements/media did you use to communicate your message?
- How do you see this Entry affecting those who view it?
**Adult assistance is permitted in typing the essay, as long as the words are the original thought of Entrant.
- Title required. Suggested title length should be no more than 8 words. It should not include the word EarthX.
Online entry can be found at https://earthx.org/education/art-competition/. In addition to the information requested on the entry form, artists will attach appropriate image(s) of their work and an Impact Essay by which their work will be judged. The completed entry form, image(s) and Impact Essay must be included in the online entry for it to be approved.
2-D Art: 1 image
3-D Art: 4 images (1 front, 1 back, 1 of each side)
IMPACT ESSAY: .pdf
- Additional Requirements
- All applications must be in English and include the following: Entry Title, Artist Name, Artist Age, Grade, Mailing Address as well as Email Address. If under the age of 18, application must include Parent or Legal Guardians’ Name, Email and Signature of Permission for Entry. All of these elements must be valid or any prizes may be forfeited. Primary email address must be correct in order to receive confirmation of submission and other notifications. It is highly recommended that entrants make every effort to ensure the earthx.org email is not identified as spam. Additional information such as a contact phone # may also be requested.
- All Entries must have a Title listed on the Entry Form. The word “EarthX” should not occur in the title. Original titles that evoke the message of the artwork are recommended. Best titles are less than 8 words in total.
- All Entries must list the dimensions _ x _
- All Entries must be downloadable to be accepted.
- All Entries must not be posted on the internet until after April 22, 2023 except by EarthX or its representatives unless Entrant is specifically authorized to do so.
- All Entries must not be entered in another art contest during this Competition.
- Only one entry per contestant.
- The submission/Artwork and essay should not have been entered in a previous EarthX Inspire Through Eco-Art Contest.
To be considered for judging, Entry must submit a completed Entry Form by the designated deadline.
Submissions Window Opens: Friday July 22, 2022
Submissions Window Closes: Tuesday, January 24, 2023
Finalists Announced: Wednesday, February 22, 2023*
Finalist Artwork Delivered to EarthX no later than: Monday, March 20, 2023
Winners Announced: Earth Day, Saturday, April 22, 2023.
*Only Finalists will be exhibited in Dallas Texas, conditions permitting. It is the responsibility of the Finalist to send their Entry at their cost to the designated location by the date/time listed in the Finalist Announcement. EarthX is not responsible for any damage that may occur in transport.
2023 Exhibition Conclusion
Finalist Entries can be retrieved at the end of the exhibition by the owner at their expense. Any Entry not retrieved or identified to be returned by Wednesday May 31, 2023, may be donated to other entities. EarthX is not responsible for return shipping cost. Artists are responsible for their own shipping costs. EarthX representatives can send the artwork back to the artist. Artists must provide a self-addressed envelope and pre-paid shipping label with instructions in order to have your artwork returned to you.
IMPORTANT: Finalists may be required to provide a short video with a discussion of information requested by the judges. This will aid the judges as they select the First Place, Second Place and Honorable Mention winners. Finalists will be given details of how to record and upload this video in the Finalist email notification they receive. If a person cannot provide this in English, they will need to contact the EarthX staff member listed in the email for an alternative method. If the required information is not received by the date listed in the email, the artwork will not be able to be considered for judging as a possible winner.
7. Confirmation of Entry
Each Entrant will receive a Confirmation of Entry once the submission has been received and the submitted Entry has been properly uploaded. If the link to the Entry does not work properly, the Entry will not be accepted, and you will not receive a confirmation. Be sure the email you provide on the application is correct. If you believe you have submitted your completed Entry and have not received a confirmation of submission within 24 hours of submission, it is the responsibility of the Entrant to send an email to edu@Earthx.org to determine the status of the entry. Write “Art Contest Submission” in the Subject Line and give a detailed description of the submission. The submission will then be reviewed for final acceptance and the Entrant will receive another email notifying them of the results.
Once an entry has been successfully uploaded, it will then be reviewed for approval. If approved, a second email will be sent notifying the artist of its approval. If the Entrant does not receive this notification regarding the artwork within 72 hours, an email requesting confirmation of approval should be sent to EarthX at firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line reading “Art Contest, artist name, age division, title of work.” All artworks must be approved to be part of the contest.
8. Artist Agreement
Entrants required to agree to the Official Rules. If under the legal age of majority in their state or country of residence, the Entrant’s parent or legal guardian must agree on their behalf.
By submitting, The Entrant agrees to these Official Rules, which sets forth the rights of Entrant and EarthX with respect to the use of Entries by EarthX. Entries that do not include all required information and adhere to the foregoing and following requirements will be considered void and will not be considered for prizes in this Project.
9. Entry Costs
All costs associated with the production for the Entry are solely the responsibility of the Entrant.
All Finalists will be required to send their Entry at their cost to the designated location by the date/time listed in the Finalist Announcement and to retrieve it at the end of the exhibition by the date/time communicated in that announcement. If desired, the Entrant can include a pre-paid return mailing label and self-addressed envelope and EarthX representatives can then return the artwork at the end of the exhibit. Any submission not retrieved by May 31, 2023, may be donated to another entity.
10. Designated Artist
If any group of individuals elects to collaborate on an Entry, they are required to designate one (1) person as the agent of the group to enter the Project. The oldest student in the group will be the designated agent and this person’s age will determine the Division under which the work will be judged. This person will be the primary contact for the group.
All group members must agree to these Official Rules and to have the designated person accept any prize on behalf of the group. EarthX is not liable for any disputes between collaborators arising out of or related to the Project.
11. Selection of Winners
The Finalists, including the First Place, Second Place and Honorable Mention winners will be selected by a panel of judges agreed upon by EarthX staff. The decisions of EarthX with input from the judges will be final. Entrants agree that EarthX has the sole right to decide all matters and disputes arising from the Project and that all decisions of EarthX are at its sole discretion and final.
Entries will be judged by a process in which qualified panel(s) of judges will evaluate the eligible Entries along with information from the Impact Essay based on the following judging criteria:
- Artistic Merit (e.g., aesthetic value, use of artistic elements, technique)
- Adherence to the Theme (communication of theme- Protectors for the Planet)
- Creative Interpretation (unique perspective of the theme -Protectors for the Planet)
- Impact (capacity to inspire viewers to take environmental action)
In the event of a tie, the tie will be broken at the discretion of EarthX. Entrants agree that EarthX has the sole right to decide all matters and disputes arising from the Project and that all decisions of EarthX are at its sole discretion and final.